Autocross – Where Do I Start?
First, determine your class for Lone Star Region PCA autocross events from the list below. Classes consist of the following groups of Porsches and Non-Porsche classes:
- 9AT – All 911 Turbo, 911 GTS, 99+ AWD, 2016+ Carrera S/GTS
- GTR – Special GT, R, or “Tuner” Porsche Models, heavily modified Porsches
- 9WC – 99+ 911 Carrera models except Turbo, AWD, 2016+ Carrera S/GTS
- 9AC – All Air Cooled 911 models except turbo
- BC1 – 97-08 Boxster/Cayman, 09-11 Boxster/Cayman Base Models
- BC2 – 09-11 Boxster/Cayman S/GTS, All 2012+ Boxster/Cayman
- PF – All Front Engine Porsches including SUV
- P4 – 4-cylinder Air Cooled Porsches and 914-6
- PRT – Any Porsche on sub-140 treadwear or race tires
- X1 – AWD Non-Porsches Cars on 140 or greater tread wear rating tires
- X2 – RWD Non-Porsches Cars on 140 or greater tread wear rating tires
- X3 – FWD cars and sub-100 hp 4-cylinder cars on 140 or greater tread wear rating tires
- X4 – Significantly Modified Non-Porsches or on sub 140 tread wear tires
- L – Ladies Class (Optional)
- INS – Autocross Event Instructors
Next, register for the event by prepaying at ClubRegistration.net. There is typically a registration limit of 70 drivers, but we do accept walk-up registration at the event.
The event registration fee ranges from $65 to $75 for PCA members. Entrants are not required to perform a work assignment. A “gourmet” food truck will be available and at least an hour lunch break will be provided.
Each contestant must wear an approved helmet in good condition. Acceptable approvals are the latest or next two most recent (2015, 2010, 2005) SA, M or K Snell Memorial Foundation, FIA 8860, SFI 31.1 and BS6658-85 Type A-FR approvals. Loaner helmets are available free of charge. If you do not have a helmet, there are “loaner” helmets available free of charge at the event.
If you want to purchase a helmet, consider contacting Lone Star Region’s partner, PerformanceStop. They will bring samples to you and fit the helmet.
The following is a typical daily schedule for an autocross event held at the Houston Police Academy. Grandsport Speedway events gates open at 8 AM and details can be found at clubregistration.net.
- 7:30 am – Facility opens.
- 8:00 am to 8:45 am – Registration.
- 8:15 am to 9:00 am – Safety tech inspection.
- 9:15 am (required for all attendees and guests) – Safety meeting.
- 9:30 am – First car out on the track.
- 9:30 am – 10:45 am – Heat 1A: All Porsche Classes.
- 10:55 am – 12:10 pm – Heat 2A: All X Classes, Instructors.
- 11:00 am – Porsche Classes Lunch Break.
- 12:10 pm – Worker & Instructor Lunch Break.
- 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm – Heat 1B: All Porsche Classes.
- 12:40 pm – All X Classes Lunch Break.
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Heat 2B: All X Classes, Instructors.
Before each event begins, there is a guided course walk that takes beginners step-by-step through the driving line and explains how to navigate through the cones. This is especially helpful for first-timers and those that want a second perspective. The course layout changes each event.
Finally, all cars must have a technical inspection at Lone Star Region PCA events prior to the first-course run. Tech is done at the event site.
There will be 6-8 competition runs and the event will usually conclude by 3:00 pm.
We provide trophies for every class with three or more participants.
Watch and Read
Read the following books. All three are available on Amazon.
Give Autocross a try. It is great entry-level competition that requires little car preparation, time, or money. You might just walk away with one of the trophies!
The Lone Star Region PCA Autocross Chairperson is Jim Hedderick. Contact Jim if you have questions about events or would like to volunteer for an event!
We hope to see you soon!
Upcoming Autocross Events
- e-Brake News: Werks Reunion Amelia Island registration opens Dec. 11 December 4, 2019
- Your PCA e-Brake News November 2019 Recap December 2, 2019
- e-Brake News: Video: Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport vs. 991.2 GT3 Cup November 27, 2019
- e-Brake News: Video: Watch PCA Club Racer pass 41 cars at Daytona in single race November 20, 2019
- e-Brake News: Video: Walter Röhrl drives Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 on track November 13, 2019
- e-Brake News: Porsche 718 Cayman T, Boxster T coming to North America November 6, 2019
- Your PCA e-Brake News October 2019 Recap November 2, 2019
- e-Brake News: PCA Sim Racing: A family affair October 30, 2019
- e-Brake News: Video: Driving Porsche's GT3 Touring October 23, 2019
- e-Brake News: Porsche, Boeing to explore air mobility with prototype aircraft October 16, 2019