Where Do I Start?
First, determine your class for Lone Star Region PCA autocross events from the list below. The basic reference for determining which class your car will compete in for Lone Star Region Autocross events is the PCA Parade Specifications.
Classes consist of 5 groups consolidated into the following. “Stock” means that the vehicle is in its base configuration for street use with street tires.
- 911 – air cooled (1997 and older).
- 911 – water cooled (1998 and newer).
- 911 – all-wheel-drive and all turbos from the 930 to the latest models plus all C4’s.
- Boxsters and Caymans (except the Cayman R and GT4).
- Front-engined Porsches, Cayennes and Macans.
- 4-cylinder Porsches (356, 912, 914).
- Porsches with GT or R in the name (GT2, GT3, GT4, GTS, Carrera GT, Cayman R, etc.).
- Race prepared Porsches, any Porsche with sub-140 treadwear rating or other race tires.
Ladies and Instructors
- Ladies – Any car on any tire – Women may run here or in their respective open class.
- INS – Pre-approved instructors class.
X – Class Street Cars
- X1 – AWD cars
- X2 – RWD cars
- X3 – FWD cars and sub 100 horsepower 4-cylinder cars
X – Class Race Cars
- X4 – DOT race tires excluding Hoosier Autocross tires
- X5 – Hoosier Autocross tires and non-DOT slicks
Next, register for the event by prepaying at ClubRegistration.net. There is typically a registration limit of 70 drivers, but we do accept walk-up registration at the event.
The event registration fee ranges from $65 to $75 for PCA members. Entrants are not required to perform a work assignment. A “gourmet” food truck will be available and at least an hour lunch break will be provided.
Each contestant must wear an approved helmet in good condition. Acceptable approvals are the latest or next two most recent (2015, 2010, 2005) SA, M or K Snell Memorial Foundation, FIA 8860, SFI 31.1 and BS6658-85 Type A-FR approvals. Loaner helmets are available free of charge. If you do not have a helmet, there are “loaner” helmets available at the event. If you want to purchase a helmet, consider contacting Lone Star Region’s partner, PerformanceStop. They will bring samples to you and fit the helmet.
The following is a typical daily schedule for an autocross event.
- Facility Opens – 7:30 am.
- Registration – 8:00 am to 8:45 am.
- Safety Tech – 8:15 am to 9:00 am.
- Safety Meeting – 9:15 am (required for all attendees and guests).
- First Car Out – 9:30 am.
- 9:30 am – 10:45 am – Heat 1A: All Porsche Classes.
- 10:55 am – 12:10 pm – Heat 2A: All X Classes, Instructors.
- 11:00 am – Porsche Classes Lunch Break.
- 12:10 pm – Worker & Instructor Lunch Break.
- 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm – Heat 1B: All Porsche Classes.
- 12:40 pm – All X Classes Lunch Break.
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Heat 2B: All X Classes, Instructors.
- 2:05 pm – Trophy Presentation for Porsche Classes.
Before each event begins, there is a guided course walk that takes beginners step-by-step through the driving line and explains how to navigate through the cones. This is especially helpful for first-timers and those that want a second perspective. The course layout changes each event.
Finally, all cars must have a technical inspection at Lone Star Region PCA events prior to the first-course run. Tech is done at the event site.
There will be 6-8 competition runs and the event will usually conclude by 3:00 pm.
We provide trophies for every class with three or more participants.
Watch and Read
Read the following books. All three are available on Amazon.
- SECRETS OF SOLO RACING by Henry A. Watts
- WINNING AUTOCROSS TECHNIQUES by Ross Bentley
- HOW TO AUTOCROSS by Andrew Howe
View photos and videos from Lone Star Region PCA events.
- Flickr Gallery of Photos
- Facebook Gallery of Photos
- LSRPCA YouTube Channel
- Facebook Gallery of Videos
Results and course maps from previous events available here.
Give Autocross a try. It is great entry-level competition that requires little car preparation, time, or money. You might just walk away with one of the trophies!
The Lone Star Region PCA Autocross Chairperson is Jim Hedderick. Contact Jim if you have questions about events or would like to volunteer for an event!
We hope to see you soon!
The Region hosts and co-hosts the following events and activities.